Monday, January 4, 2010

saying goodbye before the journey north

I am just coming from saying goodbye to one of my best friends in my community, Orbe. Most of you who have come to visit me have met her. She is beautiful and elegant, one of those people who always looks so well put together despite the hot weather and the dust. With her wide, tan face and trim figure, she is often mistaken for her daughter´s sister though she is about 40 years old and has three kids.
Orbe stood out from the beginning by reaching out to me and because of her desire to improve her neighborhood. She was one of the first people I met who was like, "you're here to work? great! let's get started!" She is an obvious leader in her community. She organizes things like trash clean ups and petitions, things that no one does here. I immediately liked her and would go over to her house to cook things together. She taught me how to make beef stew, I taught her how to make fried rice.
Until last year, Orbe ran her own clothing store in the center of town. Her brother, who worked in the U.S., would buy stuff at discount stores like Ross, where his wife worked, and ship them down here. Orbe would then sell these "American" clothes (often made in China or Vietnam) at a mark up here in town. I think she liked the responsibility of running her own small business. Nonetheless, when her brother's wife came back from the U.S. (after 12 years), Orbe had to yield control of the store to her, since it was technically her brother's business.
Orbe seemed restless and frustrated after losing her business. Luckily, she was offered a position on the incoming mayor´s city council, something that kept her busy during election season. She did well in her job. She has great ideas for the town within the first couple months in office she organized the Christmas display in the park and convinced the mayor to get street lamps for several streets in the town. She's definitely the most outspoken female on the city council and is a good example to the girls here.
But the work with the city council hardly pays, and Orbe has become increasingly worried about her kids futures. Their father is in the U.S., though sends money rather irregularly and has found another girl there. For a long time, she thought about opening up a restaurant (or comedor) here in town and I tried to support the idea. I even brought her to a small business workshop with other Peace Corps volunteers in hopes that it would help realize this dream.
In the end, however, Orbe's ambitions for herself and her children cannot truly be achieved here. Today, I went over to her house to say goodbye to her and her daughters before she leaves early tomorrow morning to meet the coyote who will take her across the border to the U.S.
I am so sad to see her go. First, the decision affects me very personally since I know I will miss her presence here a lot. But also, more generally, it makes me so sad that the situation of this country is such that the brightest, most motivated people, the people that want to make something of their lives, have to leave. As much as I didn't want Orbe to go, I knew she could not be persuaded to stay.
Just now, as I was saying goodbye to her, she told me that her experience at the small business workshop had changed her life. Seeing all the Peace Corps volunteers, who were all so motivated, worked so hard, and had traveled so far had made such an impression on her. She said she saw me as a role model, if i could come here, across the world, she knew she too could make something of herself in a foreign land. Hearing that was so bittersweet. The last thing we want to encourage here is emigration, but when that is your only opportunity to really make something of yourself, what is the alternative?
Anyways, it was a very emotional and sad experience to say goodbye. I will be thinking of her all this week as she makes the dangerous journey and I pray she makes it safely and securely. One day, I hope to see her again in El Norte.

2 comments:

Holly said...

How tough. I read this earlier, and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Elmer knows Orbe and went to school with her. It's hard to know what is right when there are so many mixed opportunities. But ultimately we all need to to what's right for our children first, before we can help others. Community leaders like Orbe are so important in towns like Dolores. It hurts that much more when someone like her has to turn from what she knows. It would be nice to see student leadership programs (don't know if there are any). Kids learning at an early age to take charge (not just responibility for laundry and cooking in the home) but learning with their peers on how to stay positive and organize for their towns' well being. So that they won't be leaving their own small children behind for the states in a few years. The real opportunity is where they are now.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?)for ES, the US really does give such opportunity for all, if they choose to take it. Even someone like Warren Buffet will says that he is what he is because he was born in the United States. Now I don't think we all need to be capitalist crazy, just that there are opportunities that we wouldn't have otherwise if we were somewhere else.....
oh sigh...
so many thoughts here.. i wouldn't have Elmer and my family if he hadn't left.
Don't forget that you are doing GREAT work. It is needed and appreciated, even if you are not told so. Keep it up!

elian said...

Holly, you are so right. I feel such mixed emotions about this. While Dolores is losing such a leader, it is much more likely that Orbe will be able to fulfill her dreams in the U.S. The answer to stopping illegal immigration really does lie here in El Salvador, not with creating better fences or whatever the minutemen propose. Without real economic development, the lack of opportunity will keep sending to people to the U.S.

P.S. I'm so happy to see you're still reading my blog! I hope you had a great holiday season. :)